OpenVAS Change Request #3: Remove plugin factory from openvas-pluginsStatus: Voted +5. Implemented with SVN 699. Released with openvas-plugins 1.0.1.
To reduce code base.
To not encourage to write C plugins.
It is desirable to not allow for writing any further test routines in C programming language as they need to be compiled anew for different platforms where the server is running. C modules can naturally not be distributed over a feed as the server system is unknown. NASL scripts do not reveal this problem.
As a side-effect the code base can be reduced which is good for a higher quality rating.
Another side effect is that less tools and directories are installed.
- Users will not be able any more to compile their own C test routines based on a openvas-plugins installation. Of course, it is still possible to do so based on a openvas-plugin self-compiled tar-ball.
- For clarification: Neither are any existing C-Modules touched in anyway nor is it impossible to write C-Modules.
Design and Implementation
- Remove directory openvas-plugins/pf
- Remove handling of pf in Makefile, MANIFEST and configure.in of openvas-plugins.
- 2008-02-14 Jan-Oliver Wagner <email@example.com>:
- 2008-02-22 Jan-Oliver Wagner <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
Added some clarification to effects (it is still possible to write C-Modules and none of the current are touched).
- 2008-02-23 Jan-Oliver Wagner <email@example.com>:
Updated status with result of voting.